Hi, I'm Michelle Flandreau & I'm a producer.
For me, producing is about transforming the details of the day into a meaningful, engaging newscast.
To keep track of those details, I am a big believer in making lists.
So let me tell you (in list form, of course) why you want me in your newsroom.
- I'm a storyteller. Reporters tell their stories in a few minutes. The entire newscast is my story.
- I'm not a show-stacker. Each day presents an opportunity to break the format. I look for innovative ways to showcase the big story, like when college basketball's winningest head coach stepped down.
- I take complicated, dense topics like health care reform and turn them into digestible segments for the audience.
- I produce more than hour-long newscasts. I helped launch, lead and manage WBIR's first investigative unit. A series of our stories forced the CEO of a local nonprofit to resign, which saved taxpayers tens of thousands of dollars.
- I don't believe in newsroom silos. Whether I'm helping a reporter with a LexisNexis search during breaking news or asking my director, "How can we make this happen?" I understand our team is at its best when we collaborate.
And when I'm producing, everything gets crossed off my list.